Safety Harness Rescue Course (Gotcha Rescue Kit)
This training is essential for use of the original SpanSet Gotcha Rescue Kit and its various modes of use.
This course will provide the delegates with all the necessary skills to operate both safely and efficiently when faced with what can be a stressful recovery situation.
On completion of training, delegates will be able to use the rescue kit in a variety of locations and to rescue a casualty who has fallen from a platform.
They will also be very capable of recovering casualties who are suspended from a fall arrest lanyard, wire rope fall arrest block or flexible line fall arresters.
PRE-COURSE ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
Delegates must be 18 years and over. All delegates must be able to certify they are physically fit and have no medical conditions that might prevent them from working at height before the commencement of training. (A list of conditions that could affect practical training is available upon request. If in doubt, call our team on 01 2233500 for advice before booking).
SpanSet reserves the right to exclude unsuitable delegates from training courses. Candidates must be competent in the use of their Personal Fall Protection Equipment.
SpanSet Safety Harness Practical Training (formerly known as Practical Use of Fall Protection Equipment – MOD 2) is advised for candidates with no previous experience of working at height with Personal Fall Protection Equipment.
The day will be split into two sessions.
MORNING SESSION – Safety Harness Theory Training
Our theory foundation module includes a pre-use inspection.
AFTERNOON SESSION – Gotcha Kit Rescue
On successful completion of the morning session, delegates can progress on to the practical elements of training.
This course is designed to make operatives fully conversant in the operation of the Gotcha Rescue Kit and its various modes of use.
- The course will enable operatives to use the rescue kit in a variety of locations and to rescue a casualty who has fallen from a platform.
- The kit is capable of recovering casualties who are suspended from fall arrest lanyards, wire rope falls arrest blocks or flexible line fall arresters.
- This module is intended for operatives who are already conversant in the use of their fall protection equipment.
- During training, delegates will be expected to carry out activities at height. This will provide insight into the delegates’ ability to operate in such conditions. This is only an indication of their capability, as it is not possible to recreate exact working environments.
- The actual height and exposure will be set out on the certification, but this is only to show what was included in the training. The height shown on the certification is not intended to limit the height at which the delegate can operate.
EQUIPMENT COVERED DURING TRAINING
- Full Body Harnesses
- Single and Double Fall Arrest Lanyards
- Fall Arrest Blocks / Retractable Type Fall
- Arrest Device
- Guided Type Fall Arrester
- Gotcha Suspension Loop
- Gotcha Rescue Kit
- Grabba – additional rescue attachment
- Understand the implications of being suspended in a harness and the importance of rescue provision when working at height.
- Have a basic understanding of the different approaches to rescue and how the rescue kit fits into a hierarchy of options, e.g. improvised planned and emergency services.
- Understanding the importance of personal safety whilst carrying out the rescue.
- Post-rescue care and handover to a first aider or the emergency services.
- Identification of the key components of the rescue kit and their strengths and limitations.
- The ability to assess the situation and select the appropriate recovery technique, i.e. anchor point selection and suitable points of safety harness attachment.
- Correctly fitting and adjustment of a fall arrest harness.
- Correct use of double and/or single fall arrest lanyards for personal safety whilst traversing and rescuing.
- The importance of casualty management and the application of temporary aids.
- Remote deployment of the rescue kit from a position of safety and attachment to an unconscious casualty.
- Use of the rescue kit to raise and lower an unconscious suspended casualty.
- Correct use of the equipment to gain a mechanical advantage when lifting the casualty.
On successful completion of course, certificate will be issued which is valid for 3 years.
Further information on our training facilities, first aid provision, insurance etc are available upon request.